Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Frustration

Uggg.....remind me again why I work....oh that's right, to pay off the bills I earned so I COULD work. So not worth it!

I had the same conversation today 4 times. Twice with the patient and twice with her husband because she didn't believe me when I told it to her the first two times. The poor woman just had her second chemical pregnancy, and wanted to insist that I was wrong and that we had failed her because this was her second one. Frustrating! Despite what people think, neither the Dr or I have any control over what God decides to do with a fertilized egg. Do you hear that, NO CONTROL!!!!!!!

A chemical pregnancy (for those who don't know) is basically where conception happens, the hormone levels rise (you get a + preg test), but then it doesn't develop/implant and everything fizzles out. You are usually a few days to a week late on your period, and it may be heavier than normal. In the good old days when women weren't checking pregnancy tests every 5 minutes after having sex, they didn't even know they were pregnant and just attributed it to a fluke in their cycle. The stats say that 8/10 women will have at least 1 chemical pregnancy during their childbearing years, and some will have more that that. There is nothing to prevent a chemical pregnancy, and you can't cause one. It is just one of those flukes that happen in the miracle of getting pregnant.

I swear that if people had an understanding of the thousands of things that have to happen in a certain order to even get pregnant, let alone have everything develop properly, they would have a much better time of dealing with these sorts of things. They should feel blessed to even have a sperm and egg that get together, because a lot of people can't even get that far.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

So true! I agree that people are crazy about the pregnancy tests also (including myself at times).