Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Trip to PCC

So I braved a trip to the opening of a PCC just down the street here in Edmonds. If you are not familiar with PCC, it's a market that has all/only organic produce/food/products. Now I am not 100% into things organic. I mean, does it really matter if my paper towels are made organically, or if my mac and cheese is organic? Especially when it costs more? I do however, like my organic meats and some vegetables and fruits, and am willing to pay more for them.

Anyway, so PCC moved in and I am very excited. I drove down the street and as I got closer I started noticing many cars parked on the side of the road, which is unusual in this part of town. I keep driving and traffic is getting worse. I turn into PCC and it is like a car lot, seriously...a car lot! People are honking, blocking traffic, cutting people off. Not a picture that goes hand in hand with mellow organic people, in my opinion. After driving around and parking wwwaaayyy away, I meander in to the store where I am now blocked by human traffic. It takes me three minutes to actually push my cart through the doors and enter the store. Insane! I realize now that I should have waited at least a week before coming here.

I head to the meat department to get some chicken and I am astounded by how rude people are. Not verbally rude, but grocery store manners rude. Am I the only person who knows its rude to stop and "park" in the middle of the aisles? I know you are looking at a product, but please park your cart to one side or the other so that others can get by....not in the center where you hold up traffic while you debate the merits of this organic pop over that organic pop. You also should not leave said cart parked while you wander to another aisle so that you don't have to fight the traffic you caused. I managed to grab my chicken and the other items on my list and fought my way to the front where the lines where 15 people deep in every lane and there I sat for 35 minutes while waiting to get to the register. Another lesson in manners....you don't get in line and then send someone out to grab 20 more items you purposely didn't get because you knew the line was going to take a while. RUDE! One item, sure...two items, ok...but not 20!

I felt so bad for the employees..they had people commenting on how unorganized and crowded everything was and how long they had been waiting. People, really....its opening day! Did you expect to get in and out in 5 minutes? I thought everything was as well organized as could be expected and said so to the friendly employee who was working the line trying to sooth the ruffled feathers around me. Poor woman, they are not paying you enough to deal with this...I understand customer service completely. Sometimes they don't pay me enough to deal with the crap I get from patients (by the way, my new favorite slogan is: RN - trained to save your a**, not kiss it!). I left the store and decided that I would wait for a few weeks until I went back, but I am still thankful they opened.

In other news, I'm working on my Guatemala support letters for this next year. I can't believe it's time again, but it is. I also feel uncomfortable sending these kinds of letters out, I feel like I'm begging for money. I know that people like to donate and that it's not money for me, but for a very good cause, but I still feel uncomfortable. Last year, my whole trip was paid for by donations, and I'm hoping for the same this year. I'm going to put word out at work, and at church, so hopefully, some of those single people with extra money want to donate. Look for your letter soon!

2 comments:

Tim N. said...

Man, your description of the store gave me flash backs to shopping in Georgia. That is exactly what it is like. Too bad even Washingtonians sink to that level sometimes!

Bethany said...

Oh wow, I thought about going to PCC just because I had never been to one before and now I'm glad I didn't. I went to QFC the other day and they had a sign that said QFC customer parking only. And it hit me that people had to park outside the PCC lot! Crazy!

And I know I said this last time you went to Guatemala, but people pretty much expect that you're going to have to raise support when doing a mission trip like that. And most are happy to be a part of it! So Becki, don't deny them happiness.