Thursday, September 25, 2008

Phantom of the Opera

I went to see the Phantom of the Opera last night with some people from church. Overall I enjoyed it (it is the Phantom after all), but I was disappointed in the quality of the production. I felt it was more like a college production, rather than a Broadway production. The singing was good, but the performers mics weren't balanced, so when when they sing as a group, all you heard was noise, not individuals voices. The volume on the mics for most of the main characters was so low, that you could hardly hear them, even if they were the only ones singing. The special effects were lacking, and the set design was lame. Maybe it was the fact that is was at the Paramount and they don't have quite the fancy stage like the 5th Avenue (I think thats where I saw it last). I felt bad for the people that came with me. None of them had seen the Phantom before, and this was not a good showing. I think they kind of regretted putting out good $$ to see it. Lacking is the best way to describe it....very lacking.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Well that is a major bummer!

Tim and Holly said...

Oh man. :/ Tim and I are going to go see the Phantom for our anniversary here in Spokane. I hope they put on a better showing then the one you saw!
<3

Anonymous said...

How disappointing! I saw it in Vancouver, B.C. a few years ago and it was fantastic. Was feeling bad that I couldn't see it again while here, but, after reading your review, am glad I didn't.
Love, Grammy