Monday, October 27, 2008

Vent

FYI, I am going to vent about work. If you don't want to be subject to this vent, please do not read.



Ok.......I'm very upset with my work, specifically the person who deals with payroll. I got my paycheck this week and noticed that I was not paid for 4 hours of overtime I had worked. I got regular evening pay, but not the time and a half we get for working over our 36 hrs/wk. Now, our work has started having the employee sign off their electronic time card at the end of the pay period to make sure everything looks fine. I signed off my time card after working the 4 hour extra shift and didn't notice that it was put in the wrong column (I was tired, it was after all extra work on my day off).

So, I wrote a note to the person who double checks our time cards to let her know of the error and could they add the overtime money to the next paycheck. I got an e-mail back from her today saying that I didn't qualify for overtime pay on the extra four hours. Here is where it gets complicated....we can't clock out more than 6 minutes before 7:30am or we get docked a full 15 minutes of pay (so only get paid for 11.75 hours, instead of 12). I clocked out one morning at 7:19am (was tired and just wanted to go home and not sit around for 4 minutes just so I could clocked out), and this is where the problem apparently arose.

Apparently, by losing those 15 minutes, I did not meet my full time requirement of 36 hours for the week, which means, the 4.25 hours of overtime I worked became regular pay, not overtime pay. Apparently there is some clause in the contract that if we don't meet our 36 hours, we forefit any overtime pay, unless we work over 40 hours. So in the end, by clocking out 4 minutes before I should have, I got penalized 4 hours of overtime pay (despite the fact that I had made up the .25 hours by coming in for my extra shift).

Thus I am mad, very mad, but not sure what to do about it. The lady in charge of payroll actually said "I'm sorry the rules are so picky". She actually used the term "picky"! Picky applies to the "clocking out more than 6 minutes before 7:30, you lose 15 minutes of pay". It does not apply to docking someone 4 HOURS of overtime pay when they come in on a day off to help out because you can't staff the unit appropriately! That is called "robbing" someone of their deserved pay, not being "picky". AAAAaaarrrggghhhhhh!!!!! &@#&** (insert desired swear work here).

Anyway, thank you to listening to my vent. I'm going to talk with some others at work and see if they've come up against this before and what the best way to handle it is. I'm also going to look at the contract and try and figure out where this clause is.

2 comments:

Tim and Holly said...

Oh man, that sucks Becki. :/ I hope there is a way to get it fixed.
<3

Jill aka neeuqpmats said...

I inserted a word there for you. That is ridiculous and you need to get that sorted out. Please clocking in and out. Since when do nurses clock in and out. :"Oh I am sorry I am not on the clock so I can't push your wheelchair to the elevator ma'am!" I think we go above and beyond the call of duty on many occasions and a 4 hour overtime pay dock should not be held against you. Hope you can get it sorted out. Otherwise I guess you will be clock watching for your clocking in and out!!!!!