Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What gods do you have in your life?

In my scripture reading today, we read through the 10 commandments. Now, I've read the 10 commandments many, MANY times, and can actually recite them (thanks Sunday school), but I was blown away by the first one. I saw it with new eyes and a convicted heart, which was probably related to Easter having been a few days ago.

Ex 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before me."

WOW! Normally when I've read that verse (or recited that commandment), I've always thought about it in terms of the polytheism of the Old Testament - you shall only have one God and that is Yahweh. Today when I read that verse, I realized that it was talking about gods....the things in my life that I have put as more important than the King of King, and Lord of Lords.

That got me thinking even more specific. What gods do I have in my life? I have little gods, like reading, watching TV, hobbies. I have big gods, like wanting a husband, children, money, respect. I have so many gods that I can't even list them all here! How did I let these gods sneak into my life and take the place of my creator, my Savior, my Abba?

My goal this week is to confess and repent of these gods, put them back in their place, and elevate my God to His rightful place.

So, my question to you...what gods have crept into the place reserved for God, the creator, Savior, and lover of your soul?

No comments: