Friday, January 25, 2008

Assorted things

A compilation if you will.....

1) Leaving for Guatemala next Friday. Feeling nervous, excited, and blessed to be able to go. Just have a few more things to get, then I shall pack, and check over everything 20 times.

2) Being blessed by my community group at church, although when asked about my stance on predestination (that was the topic of the sermon last Sunday), I just sat there probably with my mouth hanging open and drool coming out. I definitely need to study more on this topic. Its not something I've ever struggled/wrestled with, and isn't a key part of my relationship with God, therefore I've neglected studying it.

3) Best homemade laundry soap ever!

1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup 20 mule team borax
Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light loads, use 2 tablespoon. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons.

Smells great, cleans great, is cheap, easy on the environment...what more could you want! Was able to find all products at Fred Meyers, which is handy.

4) Reading the Golden Compass....I know its quite controversial in the Christian community, but I want to judge for myself. The key is to be confident and firm in your beliefs/convictions and then read said books with an open mind. Don't go in with a bias...just go and read it for what it is...a piece of fiction. So far I wouldn't say its a fabulous book like Harry Potter, (I know Michelle disagrees with me on this point, but this is my blog, so too bad), but it does have a semi-decent storyline. I plan on reading the other two in the series as well. Told a person at work and she chewed my ear off, and then chewed my other one off for reading HP. I felt like saying "its really sad you can't just read a book and make your own decisions, but have to let others do your thinking for you." Apparently I am going to hell and all my future children will go to hell as well for me being willing to let them read the series when they are older.

5) Working a lot of overtime the last couple of Friday's, good for the paycheck, bad for me...I'm tired. Its not that I have anything else to do on Friday nights, but I like to know I have the option of doing something if I wanted to. I am really boring, lol.

Can't think of anymore assorted things for now, so I will end this blog.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, you leave next Fri. huh? Hope you have a great trip. can't wait to hear about your adventure! Be safe!!

Tim and Holly said...

Your trip came up so fast!! At least, it feels like it to me lol. What a neat thing to be able to do. I have been planning on reading the Golden Compass etc. too, but just haven't gotten around to it yet...Though, I think I may be "pre-biased" in my opinion, in that I expect to agree with you in regards to it not being as good as Harry Potter. :) From what I could tell from the Golden Compass movie, it seems the tone is over-all darker then Harry Potter, and I tend to like the brighter, more happy fantasy stories.
Anyway, you're in my prayers for this trip. I hope it goes wonderfully!

Kristi said...

I've been hearing about that homemade detergent for ages and you've inspired me to try, especially since a FM just opened in Snohomish.

Good luck on your trip my dear sister. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

The biggest thing I remember about Fels Naptha is my mother using it to wash my mouth out for bad words. It's wicked stuff! She often used Fels Naptha and added a little Borax. Think I'll try it.

My prayers will be with you, dear granddaughter. I know you will be blessed and be a blessing while there. Want to hear all about it upon your return.

Prayers and love,
Grammy

Michelle said...

Harry Potter is a MARVELOUS piece of fiction. My only objection is that Rowling is a poor writer, craft-wise. A little lazy and given to passive voice, in my opinion.


But her stories ARE magical. So to speak.