Sunday, July 6, 2008

Snail races and other things single people do to entertain themselves

So...what do a bunch of single 20 somethings do for fun on the 3rd of July....we have snail races! Actually, we had a BBQ for community group, THEN we had the snail race. The house we were at had a ton of snails, and one of the guys thought it would be fun to have a contest to see which snail was the fastest. Out came the fingernail polish to adorn the particularly lucky snails...they were covered in dots, a smiley face, and several styles of racing stripes. It was then decided that we needed a finish line, so the ribbon basket was brought outside and a nice pink ribbon was adorned with "finish" and stakes between two twigs pushed into the grass across the sidewalk. The contestant were lined up and then off they went! Smiley took the early lead, but then Norman put out the slime and pulled ahead. The race was antenna to antenna the whole time, but Norman won by a fraction. After a round of cheering, he was given the place of honor in the bushes, where he would be safe for a while. There are pictures and a video floating around, so when I can get a hold of them, I will post them here.

The other entertainment that us single people like to enjoy is making fun of the other members of the community group who are singing old school worship songs while playing bongos and keeping time with sticks. They were inside the house, singing away, while 5-6 of us (me included) were outside snickering at them and remembering how dorky we were in junior high and high school.

Fun times!

Anyway....my life is boring, hence the need to race snails. Work is going well, although I have not been overly busy for the past few weeks. I think I've read 3 books in the past two weeks and that was only reading them at work! I shouldn't complain, as there are days when it is super busy, but it sure makes the nights really long!

Not much else to say...so I guess I'll get back to work...I mean reading my book :-)

3 comments:

Tim and Holly said...

Snail races are fun! I can't wait to see the pictures. :) Did you have your own snail or were a spectator?

Becki said...

I was a spectator. I was going to paint a snail, but they kind of foam when you paint them...I'm assuming that the nail polish was poisoning them. I couldn't do it!

Tim and Holly said...

Lol, that's rather sad! I hope it doesn't do any long term damage. Poor snails. :)